LOCKDOWN AFFECTED YOUR VEHICLES TOO? HERE’S HOW TO STORE YOUR CAR DURING THIS PERIOD.
As lockdown days keep prolonging and there seems to be no end in sight yet, taking necessary precautions remain ultimate during this pandemic. Limiting our movements, social distancing etc. One thing you might want to keep in my mind is how to protect your car and keep it functioning well even after all this is over. If you’re not going to be using your car in this period, you might want to take the necessary measures in storing it well so that it is still in good shape after this period.View more postsBack to Home
Here are 7 ways you can prepare your car for storage.
- Park in a garage or use a car cover Parking in a garage will keep it safe and clean but if you don’t have that option you can use a car cover. Use a quality and breathable cover so it doesn’t trap moisture underneath and mess with the car paint.
- Clean the interiors thoroughly Nobody wants to come back to a smelly or filthy car when they are ready to drive. So it is highly important to clean the car thoroughly before parking as this will prevent rot which can leave a bad smell when u come back or attract rodent which can destroy the floors.
- Battery maintenance It is better to remove the battery if the car is not going to be use for some time. Smear petroleum jelly or grease on the terminals and the wire ends to prevent rusting. Ensure that the battery is fully charged and top up the water level. Store the battery in a cool and dry place, well away from direct sunlight.
- Do not engage the handbrake. Engaging the handbrake over an extended period can result in the brake pads getting stuck to the discs or drums. Use a wheel cork or wood to stop the tires and put in first gear to prevent rolling.
- Keep the tyres properly inflated Check the tyre pressure and make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure. Inflate them to the maximum. Proper inflation help prevent cracking of the sidewalls and flat spots. Check the valves and valve caps for leaks and that the valve caps fit properly.
- Fill up the fuel tank. This will keep away moisture entering the tank and prevent rusting of the fuel tank. Of course, be sure that the tank is sealed properly as well.
- When you are finally ready to use the car, don’t run it immediately, start the car and leave idle for 10-15 minutes.